NOTICE OF SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING
The ELSIES RIVER CITY IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT NPC will be hosting a Special General Meeting and all stakeholders are invited to a review of the year’s activities and planning for 2016/17.
Date: 25 November 2015
Venue: Emplast, 40 6th Avenue, Elsies River
Resolutions presented at the SGM can only be voted on by bona fide members of the ELSIES RIVER CITY IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT NPC. This membership is available free of charge to all owners of commercial or industrial properties within the SRA footprint, but they must be registered before 11 November 2015.
For further information please e-mail email@example.com or call 083 255 7657
Please click here to download the relevant documentation from our SGM page
Dear Elsies River Property Owners and Business People
As a property owner/business owner or member of the community in the Elsies River Industrial Area you are no doubt well aware of the problems in the area. Incidents of crime and grime including homelessness, aggressive begging, informal car guards and general urban degradation are escalating. These problems are of great concern and need to be effectively addressed.
Property owners of adjacent communities have already invested in the future of their areas by establishing their own Special Rating Areas commonly known as city improvement districts. A group of concerned property and business owners has taken the initiative to seek solutions to these problems, and they are appealing for your support in establishing a Special Rating Area (SRA) in the Elsies River Industrial Area. Your participation and support in establishing this SRA, will not only be greatly appreciated, it will also lead to significant upgrading of the public urban environment around your property.
What is a Special Ratings Area (SRA)?
- A statutory body established under the SRA by-law of the City of Cape Town previously known as a City Improvement District (CID).
- The SRA is funded by way of an additional rate collected from rate payers by the City of Cape Town and paid to the management board of the proposed Elsies River Improvement District SRA.
- The additional rate will pay for supplementary municipal services within the defined area such as security, cleansing and other urban upgrade initiatives as described in a business plan.
Why do we need the SRA?
- It will reduce crime, grime and homelessness though improved management of the area.
- It will provide a safer, cleaner and friendlier public environment.
- Public space will be upgraded and property values tend to increase within SRA’s.
How does it work?
- ‘Top up’ services will be added to those provided by the City.
- The additional rate may only be used for services in the designated area as outlined in the agreed business plan.
- An SRA provides property owners with a direct say in the management of the designated area.
he Elsies River Improvement District Steering Committee
How can I participate or assist?
We are currently seeking your support for the establishment of a Special Ratings Area in Elsies River Industrial. One of the members of the Steering Committee will contact you in this regard.
Need more information?
Click on the links in the left hand column to downloand relevant documents
If you want more information on SRAs and how they work please click and download the Frequently Asked Questions FAQ for SRAs here